Lunds universitet, MAX IV, Spectroscopy
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Currently 13 beamlines are funded and under construction at the MAX IV laboratory. In order to strengthen the team working with one of these – the FinEstBeAMS beam line for PEPICO (photoelectron photoion mass spectroscopy), XPS (x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy) and photoluminescence – we are now seeking to hire a research engineer with a background and interest in soft X-ray synchrotron radiation based experimental techniques and instrumentation.
The FinEstBeAMS beam line is currently in the early stage of user operation at the 1.5 GeV storage ring of the MAX IV facility. The beamline receives the first regular external users in April 2019.
The candidate will be part of the team responsible for further development and operation of the FinEstBeAMS beamline at the MAX IV Laboratory. The candidate will be responsible for coordinating and conducting practical work related to the installation and operation of the beamline and the experimental end stations as well as supporting equipment.
Due to the nature of the equipment the candidate will be expected to work with all safety aspects of the instrumentation in use. As a part of his/her tasks the candidate will be expected to supervise infrastructure installations at the beam line.
The candidate will participate in the commissioning of the beamline including the experimental end stations and spectrometers and maintain its equipment to the highest standard. The candidate shall also provide user support at the beamline.
Required qualifications are:
- A higher education degree (MSc, PhD or equivalent) in Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry or a similar field of relevance for the FinEstBeAMS beamline.
- Experience in planning, coordination, and implementation of equipment build-up projects.
- Experience on ultrahigh vacuum systems, including sample handling and gas supply systems.
- Experience in Communication, user support and updating user related documentation.
- Ability to work independently, take responsibility for development projects and collaborate smoothly with the engineering staff and research experts covering a broad range of fields.
- Experience in or knowledge of at least one of the research areas of FinEstBeAMS beamline.
- Very good skills in English, both oral and written, are required to provide successful user support.
Additional desirable qualifications are:
- Experience in working at a synchrotron radiation facility as a user or as a member of staff.
- Programming skills (Phyton and/or C++)
The successful candidate takes initiative, works well with other people, is structured and flexible.
Probation period may apply.
To apply for this job please visit lu.varbi.com.