CHESS (Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source) specializes in x-ray research. Visiting scientists from a variety of disciplines come to CHESS to utilize the high-energy x-rays to study various samples. CHESS staff provide technical support to visiting researchers and also maintain and upgrade the experimental facilities.
- Contribute to the maintenance, development, and improvement of experimental facilities.
- Test new equipment, write documentation, and teach other staff how to use it.
- Assist in the planning and execution of experiments & projects proposed by the user community.
- Plan, propose, and execute improvements to the software and computing infrastructure required to collect high-quality data.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with staff and teams.
- Contribute to the culture and practice of laboratory safety
To be successful in this position you will bring: Bachelor’s degree in scientific of technical field (physical sciences, computer science or engineering preferred) and at least three years of related work experience or post-graduate education is required. General laboratory skills including hands-on experience with computer, mechanical, biochemical, and/or electronic equipment. Good communication and self-learning skills. Must be able to work occasional evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Computer and programming skills required. Capable of adapting to the changing needs of a research environment. Able to receive directions and to communicate effectively across all research groups within the department. Work effectively and cooperatively within a team environment. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Preferred qualifications: Experience with Linux, Python, Matlab programming preferred, especially related to hardware control and data analysis. Experience in a customer or professional service/support setting.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position. Please apply online at https://cornell.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CornellcareerPage (posting #WDR00019801).
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO.
Applications should apply by August 5, 2019
To apply for this job please visit cornell.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.