CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
As part of its mission as a user facility, the ESRF provides service and support to its scientific community. Experiments performed on the ESRF experimental stations (beamlines) require increasingly sophisticated sample environments.
The sample environment laboratory is in charge of designing, manufacturing, assembling, testing, maintaining and improving state-of-the-art sample environment instrumentation. The applications include high temperatures (up to thousands of degrees Celsius), cryogenic temperatures (down to a few Kelvins) and high throughput experiments with automatic sample loading using e.g. robotic arms.
Your tasks are the following:
- Operation of various equipment (in-situ cells, cryostats, electronics…)
- Rapid interventions on equipment installed on beamlines. Maintenance and repair of equipment
- Running and maintenance of one workshop and two dedicated laboratories
- Preparation, design or modification of an equipment for a user experiment
- Design, assembly and tests of new equipment for cryogenic temperatures, high temperatures and robotics
- Close interaction with other support groups and beamline staff
- You should hold a technician degree (BSc, Licence, HND, HNC, BTS, DUT, Bachelor, Meister, Vordiplom, Perito, Laurea Triennale, Diplomatura, Ingenieria Técnica or equivalent)
- 2 to 10 years of professional experience
- Ability to acquire new technical skills
- One or more skills in the following topics: CAD design, 3D printing (plastic, resin or metal), machining, welding, vacuum, cryogenic fluids (N2 & He), electronics or robotics
- Ability to interact easily in a multicultural environment
- Proficiency in technical English (working language at the ESRF, additional training can be provided)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.