Job ID: 2442
Date posted: 12/22/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The scientist associate will learn the exciting cryo-Electron Microscopy (cryo-EM) techniques from sample preparation, data collection to data analysis and interpretation. Work with the LBMS team members to operate the cryo-EM instruments and ancillary equipment, support internal and external users, keep records for user projects and interactions, and develop new methods to advance the cryo-EM field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate cryo-TEMs and ancillary equipment.
- Prepare negative-stain and cryo-EM samples.
- Work closely with users to design and perform optimal experiments on sample preparation and data collection.
- Communicate with scientific and industrial user communities.
- Provide guidance and service in data management and analysis.
- Develop new methods in cryo-EM.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or above in the field of biology, chemistry, physics or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically.
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule and work overnight or on the weekend.
- Demonstrated organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in an inclusive and diverse environment.
- Familiarity, exposure or related knowledge about at least one of the following items:
- operating cryo-EM instruments such as Titan Krios, Glacios, Talos L120C, Tecnai TF20, Jeol 2100F.
- negative-stain or cryo-EM sample preparation.
- high-resolution cryo-EM single particle data collection using EPU, SerialEM, etc.
- cryo-electron tomography data collection using SerialEM, UCSF tomography, etc.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (at least one or more of the following):
- Experience in single particle image processing using Relion, cisTEM, CryoSPARC, EMAN2, etc.
- Experience in tomography image processing using IMOD, UCSF tomo, Protomo, etc.
- Experience in using cryo-FIB or cryo-microtome to prepare cryogenic samples.
- Experience with fluorescence light microscopy.
Other information: Candidates will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.