DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The MSK (Accelerator Beam Control) group develops, builds and operates complex real-time control and stabilization systems for DESY’s accelerators. For that, our international team of technicians, engineers and scientists develops state-of-the-art high-speed data acquisition and fast-feedbacks for FLASH, EuXFEL, PETRA III and the new project PETRA IV a diffraction limited storage ring.
Scientific lead and coordination of the PETRA IV work package on fast feedback controls and stabilization which includes:
- Modelling of the PETRA IV beam stability under realistic conditions applying different feedback topologies and controller concepts
- lnvestigation of PETRA IV beam stability on accelerator design and infrastructure layout decisions
- Integration of photon beamlines and user experiments into the overall stabilization architecture
- Development of state-of-the-art electronics and high-speed actuators for wide-bandwidth, low-latency multi-bunch and fast-orbit feedback systems with a team of engineers
- Resource evaluation for construction, commissioning and operation of beam stabilization systems
- Documentation and publication of the scientific results at international conferences and in journals
- Completed scientific higher education in electrical engineering, physics or comparable skills and experiences
- Relevant professional experience with operation of fast feedback controls for storage rings
- Relevant professional experience with the hardware design and architecture for fast feedback systems in accelerators
- Very good knowledge on beam dynamics and simulation tools for circular accelerators
- Professional experience coordinating projects and leading a small team of developers
- Strong teamwork and very good English skills
For further information please contact Holger Schlarb at +49 40-8998-94454 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA048/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until the position is filled
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.