DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESY expands its research on ultrafast lasers and novel, very compact laser-plasma-based accelerators for future applications in health, photon science, and particle physics. At the core of these novel plasma accelerators are complex, multi-level control systems, which acquire scientifc data while operating and stabilizing the machines in real-time. In this context, we are searching for a highly motivated self-driven scientific software developer. The candidate will develop state-of-the art controls, data acquisition and active stabilization systems for KALDERA, a novel high repetition rate laser-plasma accelerator. The position will be embedded in a multi-disciplinary team that combines laser and plasma-accelerator expertise where the candidate will also have the chance to participate in beam times and experiments.
The software expert will coordinate the control system development for the KALDERA project:
- Develop controls software for data acquisition and active stabilization of laser and accelerator components
- Build-up and integrate the laser and accelerator hardware into the controls system architecture at DESY
- Develop and test required electronics with a team of scientists and engineers
- Coordinate software development by interfacing with the DESY expert groups
- Participate and support scientific experiments with novel laser-plasma accelerators
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, physics, electrical engineering or equivalent qualification
- Very good knowledge in embedded software development and FPGA development
- Very good knowledge of C++, Python and related languages
- Expertise in scientific software development
- Expertise in accelerator controlls is advantageous (e.g. EPICS, DOOCS, TANGO)
- Fluent English with very good communication skills and the ability to work in a team
For further information please contact Andreas Maier 040-8998-6687, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Persons with disabilities will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.