Job ID 2020
The mission of the Data Acquisition, Management and Analysis Group is to provide support and expertise to meet the scientific computing needs of the NSLS-II beamlines.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is seeking an experienced scientific software developer to join the Scientific Computing & Data Acquisition, Data Management, Data Analysis Group. This position is needed to support the development and maintenance of a software infrastructure for data acquisition, management and analysis to support the scientific mission of NSLS-II.
The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate will work with a team of scientists and engineers to lead in the design, development, and maintenance of reliable software for data acquisition, management and analysis.
- Collaborate with scientists and software engineers to define and implement the best strategies and approaches in data acquisition, scientific data handling, management, visualization, and analysis.
- Collaborate with staff and facility user scientists to develop new computational approaches and methods to extract maximum scientific information from experimental data.
- Provide support for users in data collection methods and data analysis
- Provide documentation, training and support for software.
- Assist DAMA Group Leader with Project Management and Supervision/Line Management duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science. Physical Sciences, Applied Mathematics or related field
- Several years of relevant experience.
- Ability to employ sound software engineering methodologies.
- Demonstrated record in collaborative software development.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages, including Python and C/C++.
- An up-to-date knowledge in related scientific data collection, data management, and data analysis concepts.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills to be able to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in scientific computing or data management at a synchrotron light source, neutron source or other major scientific user facility.
- Experience in user interface development.
- Experience working with messaging and distributed systems
- Experience working with NoSQL and/or Relational databases
- Experience contributing to open source software projects.
- Experience in project management of scientific and collaborative software projects
- Line Management and Supervisory experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.