European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September 2017.
One of the areas of science at the European XFEL is serial femtosecond protein nanocrystallography and coherent diffractive imaging of biological particles such as organelles and protein complexes. The science at these scientific instruments depends on the quality of the biological samples to be measured. The XBI Laboratories provide an integrated biology infrastructure in life sciences for the European XFEL. The XBI project focuses on research relevant to the user community and user support. In this project we want to look into the details of protein crystal formation using in cellulo crystallization in insect cell systems. The project is in close collaboration with the UKSH Lübeck.
We are now looking for a Scientist.
The successful applicant is expected to:
- Be responsible for a research project on in cellulo crystallization of proteins
- Investigate the crystallization process by biophysical methods, in specific electron microscopy (cryo TEM, FIB)
- Prepare samples for electron microscopy (embedding, cutting, plunge freezing, milling)
- Support users of the European XFEL facility at the biology lab in the field of sample preparation, handling and testing
- Work independently on scientific projects
- Collaborate with different groups and present the work done
- Experience in different protein crystallization methods
- PhD in Biology, Life science or equivalent
- Experience with (cryo) electron microscopy
- Experience in biological laboratory procedures, especially protein expression, purification and crystallization
- Strong interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to coordinate and organize visits of USERS, courses and students
- Ability to work structured, cleanly and neatly, maintain records of work done
- Willing to work shift
For additional information, please contact Kristina Lorenzen (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multicultural team of scientists, engineers, technical, and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust-based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition, European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, a subsidized job-ticket for the local public transportation system, as well as our brand-new company restaurant BeamStop. The European XFEL GmbH employs a diverse, broadly international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is limited to 3 years.
04 October 2020
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.