Unlimited | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: MMA045/2021 | Deadline: 06.08.2021 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESY is one of the leading accelerator laboratories and is home to FLASH, the first XUV and soft X-ray Free-Electron Laser user facility in the world. As part of its strategic vision, DESY has embarked on the FLASH2020+ project, where the FLASH FEL is undergoing a major upgrade to further enhance its performance and offer users new capabilities for forefront experiments. Within the FLASH2020+ project the multi-beamline FEL facility FLASH will upgrade its primary arm to accommodate the first externally seeded beamline with a high repetition rate of 1 MHz in burst mode. We are looking for an ambitious and motivated scientist to lead the seeding pillar within the project and lead studies aiming at the design of the optimal configuration as well as with the planning and the future commissioning and operation of the seeding beamline of the FLASH2020+ project towards a reliable user facility.
- Lead the seeding pillar of the FLASH2020+ project
- Simulation and design of a HGHG and EEHG seeding beamline dedicated to user operation
- Guide all simulation activities of the specific work packages, including start-to-end simulations
- Studies on integration of novel seeding concepts
- Strategic planning to react to changing user demands and evaluate future operating modes
- Participate seeding experiments and operation of the seeded beamline
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV AVH.
- PhD in Physics or equivalent qualification
- Several years of experience in simulation and experiments on externally seeded FELs
- Proficient in common tools related to simulation of seeded FELs and capable to put the results into perspective
- Experience in operation of accelerators especially free-electron lasers
- Good communication skills (English) and team oriented working habits
- Ability to communicate research results to an international auditorium
For further information please contact Siegfried Schreiber at +49 40 8998 9 4360.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.