Lunds universitet, MAX IV, Diffraction & Scattering
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 44 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light.
FemtoMAX is an ultrafast beamline on the Short Pulse Facility (SPF) at MAX IV, utilizing femtosecond time-resolved X-ray techniques to enable studies of the structural dynamics of materials. You will join a team of scientists and research engineers who are developing the capabilities and performance of the beamline, which is currently within its commissioning phase of development. We are looking for highly motivated scientists to complement our team.
Would you like to work at the brightest lightsource in the world?
MAX IV are looking for a highly motivated scientist to complement our FemtoMAX team.
Your main work tasks will be
– Contributing to the development of the MAX IV FemtoMAX beamline, including:
o helping with the commissioning of FemtoMAX
o being part of a research team carrying out experiments using femtosecond time-resolved X-ray techniques
o developing the capabilities and performance of the beamline
– Provide user support (in particular in Scattering experiments)
– Maintaining the laser systems at FemtoMAX
– Carrying out own research up to a level may be possible depending on the research experience of the candidate.
To be successful in this role you need to have the following qualifications
– A PhD degree in a relevant subject (Physics, Chemistry or similar degree)
– Experience in using ultrafast X-ray sources
– Documented experience in pump and probe studies
– Experience in working with hard X-rays
– Research experience in fields of relevance to the user program at FemtoMAX
– Documented track-record of using femtosecond lasers and short-pulse technology
– Documented track-record in carrying out pump-probe experiments at large-scale X-ray facilities
– Experience in maintaining a laser system is a merit (this includes high-level tasks as well as necessary maintenance such as water and filter changes)
– Demonstrated computing programming skills
– Excellent command of English (both written and oral)
– Ability to work independently and in small teams
As a person you are
- Able to work well and communicate effectively within a team.
- Willing to support others to achieve their scientific goals.
- Thorough and capable of analysing and solving complex issues.
- Able to work on multiple tasks whilst achieving your goals and maintaining the quality of your work.
Any other relevant information
You must expect to perform some work out of normal working hours, including weekends, during MAX IV operation cycles. There will be occasional requirements to travel within the Sweden and overseas.
Recommendation letters will be important to verify the care and skill of the candidate. First round interviews will be held at the beginning of November.
What we offer
When you join our MAX IV family, you step into a world of front edge science. We make the invisible visible by supporting scientist from all over the world, generating scientific results for the benefit of society. We offer you a multicultural work environment with great opportunities for personal development with respect for a healthy work-life balance.
Would you like to work in a challenging and supporting environment? Then join us and take the opportunity to make a real difference!
For further information, please visit:
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As per agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||28.Oct.2021 11:59 PM CEST|
To apply for this job please visit lu.varbi.com.