Limited: 3 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FSMA069/2021 | Deadline: 31.10.2021 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESY looks back on a lang tradition in synchrotron radiation experiments in a wide range of applications and has developed into one of the leading centers in this field worldwide. For high end synchrotron radiation applications, the 3rd generation source PETRA III is available since 2009 as one of the most brilliant hard X-ray sources worldwide. The “High Resolution Diffraction Beamline P08” at PETRA III is dedicated for highly resolved structure determination of hard and soft condensed matter with options for reflectivity measurements, grazing incidence diffraction and small angle scattering. Currently, we are expanding our capabilities in X-ray scattering from Langmuir monolayers.
- Development of own independent research program on Langmuir monolayers at the beamline and participation in collaborative projects with external groups and publication of results
- Support of academic and industrial users at the beamline
- Development and support of automated sample delivery systems and subphase exchange for Langmuir troughs
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH.
- PhD in physics, biophysics, or related discipline
- Experience with Preparation and lnvestigation of Langmuir monolayers
- Experimental skills and interest in instrumentation development
- Experience with X-ray scattering experiments using synchrotron radiation sources is desirable
- Knowledge in Python or similar programming language is desirable
- Excellent knowledge of English
For further information please contact Dr. Florian Bertram 040-8998-2929 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please kindly submit your complete application documents including your salary expectations.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.