Job ID; 2620
Date posted; 04/28/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) in Upton, NY seeks a motivated and qualified researcher for the Bioimaging program. The position is funded through the Center for Biomolecular Structure (CBMS), a Department of Energy, Office of Science, Biological and Environmental Research (DOE-BER)- and NIH-sponsored user facility located at the NSLS-II. The successful candidate will strengthen and optimize the NSLS-II’s spectromicroscopy capabilities, in collaboration with the NSLS-II’s Imaging and Microscopy Program (IMP) Beamline staff, to enable high-quality Bioimaging and Biospectroscopy experiments in support of BER mission science. In addition, the candidate will interact collaboratively with BER-sponsored BNL scientists in the EBNN directorate (Environment, Biology, Nuclear Science & Nonproliferation) who are researching symbiotic plant-microbe interactions relevant to climate (e.g., soil carbon sequestration) and energy (e.g., biofuel production on marginal land). The successful candidate will also develop a coherent research program in the Biological and Environmental Sciences that takes advantage of the unique capabilities of the IMP beamlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and deploy a streamlined workflow from experimental design to quantitative analysis for X-ray fluorescence imaging of biological samples.
- Assist local beamline staff to optimize and enhance endstation capabilities of the IMP beamlines to enable high-quality bioimaging and biospectroscopy research.
- Interact collaboratively with BNL EBNN scientists to design and execute Bioimaging experiments in support of BER mission science and provide scientific user support for BER-sponsored researchers at IMP beamlines.
- Develop a coherent research program taking advantage of the multimodal and multiscale imaging capabilities at NSLS-II.
- Participate in BER-targeted user community development, outreach, and hands-on education/training within the CMBS.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Biology, Geology, Chemistry or related field.
- At least two (2) years’ experience beyond the PhD conducting synchrotron-based measurements.
- Demonstrated experience in X-ray microanalysis of biological or environmental samples.
- Good publication record that includes synchrotron measurement.
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (experience in one or more of the following):
- X-ray fluorescence microscopy or spectroscopy.
- Biological sample preservation/preparation for X-ray fluorescence microscopy
- Development of image-processing tools or methods
- Scientific programming (preferably Python) or GUI development
- Nano-scale X-ray imaging or X-ray spectroscopy
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.