DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centers. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Center for Data and Computing in Natural Science (CDCS) is a new scientific institution formed as a partnership between the University of Hamburg, the Hamburg University of Technology and DESY. The CDCS is dedicated to the development and application of modern information technologies (Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Scientific Computing) to complex scientific problems. With Cross-Disciplinary Labs (CDL) a flexible structure is created, which works integratively between the scientific groups of computer science and mathematics on the one hand and the natural sciences on the other hand. Initial thematic priorities include Astro- and Particle Physics, Photon Science, Systems Biology, and Control of Accelerators. One goal of the CDL is to transfer the approaches into other application domains. Actively raising third party funding is a prerequisite.
The CDL “Computational Controls of Accelerators” focusses on the control of complex processes in large-scale research faculties, e.g. operation of particle accelerators for conducting scientific experiments. These controls are implemented in a multi-layered, highly distributed hardware-software architecture. Sensor data must be processed at high speed and controlling the physical devices requires real-time data processing. Today configuration and operation of such facilities requires extensive expert knowledge.
The focus of the position is to improve and automate detection and handling of anomalies using data driven approaches and machine learning. For early detection real-time analysis for anomaly detection must be considered and the software architecture must be adapted accordingly.
The position is assigned to the accelerator control group MCS at DESY.
- lnvestigating and devising approaches for data-driven fault diagnosis in complex large-scale facilities
- Writing scientific publications and presenting results at conferences
- Contributing to third-party fund raising
- University degree and PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, physics or equal qualification
- Excellent knowledge in at least two of the following areas: (1) data analysis / data engineering / machine learning, (2) algorithms / optimization, (3) FPGA-architecture and software acceleration
- Very good skills and experience in implementing complex hardware and software systems
- Background knowledge in process control and particle accelerators is desirable
- The topic of the doctoral degree should be in an area related to the CDL
- Desire to work in international and interdisciplinary teams is expected
- Very good English language skills are required
For further information please contact Reinhard Bacher, 040-8998-3056.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA049/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.