Lunds universitet, MAX IV, Diffraction & Scattering
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 44 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
CoSAXS is a state-of-the-art Small Angle X-ray Scattering (SAXS) instrument, which also uses MAX IV’s high coherence 3 GeV ring for X-ray Photon Correlation (XPCS). The performance is complemented by an exceptional pool of sample environments. Key techniques include BioSAXS, SAXS/WAXS from solution and solid samples and time-resolved scattering measurements. Our work is often based on collaboration with researchers inside and outside our organization. You must therefore want to work in a team, where we base our work on flexibility, sharing and openness.
Would you like to work at one of the brightest lightsources in the world?
MAX IV are looking for an experienced beamline scientist well acquainted with the above-mentioned experimental techniques. The applicant will be responsible for the continued development of BioSAXS and solution scattering techniques at the CoSAXS beamline. Time will also be set aside for development of the applicant’s own research projects within any of the scientific areas supported by CoSAXS. Within your application you should include your perspective on the future development of BioSAXS and your research plans at MAX IV (no more than 2 pages).
The applicant is expected to participate in the operation, maintenance and development of the CoSAXS beamline.
Your main work tasks will be
· supporting user activities at the beamline including assisting users when planning and setting up experiments and with data analysis, in particular, for BioSAXS and life science experiments
· helping to develop a strong user community at the beamline
· communication with and outreach to the existing and potential user community of the CoSAXS beamline
· In addition, the applicant should have knowledge of, and be prepared to work with, the continued commissioning of the X-ray optics and achieving stable operation at CoSAXS. He/She should be interested in the further development of complex sample environments at CoSAXS serving the life science research community.
To be successful in this role you need to have the following qualifications
You have a PhD in a relevant scientific area. You must have a detailed and well documented theoretical and practical understanding of SAXS in general, and specifically BioSAXS and protein solution scattering. You have longstanding practical experience of working at, or using, synchrotron beamlines. Preferably this experience will include the design, commissioning and maintenance of equipment at a synchrotron. You have experience of providing a service to support other scientists in their research.
You must have extensive documented experience in more than one of the following areas:
· BioSAXS and time-resolved solution scattering
· Design of complex experimental equipment for BioSAXS and/or SAXS/WAXS, in particular for sample delivery to avoid radiation damage
· Interpretation of BioSAXS data, including extensive experience of, for example, the ATSAS suite of programs
· Automation and standardization of BioSAXS experiments, including the development of data collection pipelines, GUIs to improve user friendliness
· Experience in user support
· Installation, commissioning, and maintenance of synchrotron beamlines
· Spectroscopic methods, e.g. UV-Vis, Raman and Fluorescence
· Experience setting up and working with SEC and SEC-SAXS
Below are seen as merits
· It is an advantage if you have experience of working as a team leader in an academic environment and/or of management of a design project which has been completed successfully.
· It is an advantage if you can demonstrate success in attracting grant income and beamtime applications
As a person you are looking forward to work in a team where we share knowledge and responsibility and work together to find solutions. You have good communication skills and are used to working in project teams.
What we offer
When you join our MAX IV family, you step into a world of front edge science. We make the invisible visible by supporting scientist from all over the world, generating scientific results for the benefit of society. We offer you a multicultural work environment with great opportunities for personal development with respect for a healthy work-life balance.
Would you like to work in a challenging and supporting environment? Then join us and take the opportunity to make a real difference!
For further information, please visit:
Probationary period may apply.
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As per agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||21.Aug.2022 11:59 PM CEST|
To apply for this job please visit lu.varbi.com.