Limited: 2 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FSMA024/2022 | Deadline: open | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The scientific computing group in DESY Photon Science develops scientific analysis software and algorithms for experiments at synchrotron X-ray sources (PETRA III/IV), X-ray lasers (FLASH/European XFEL), and research groups within photon science at DESY. The group works closely with scientists to develop efficient data analysis solutions for cutting edge science applications in an international research environment. The goal is to analyse data from state of the art X-ray detectors generating complex multi-terabyte data sets at high data rates to deliver science results using distributed high performance computing and storage infrastructure. DESY is also active in the wider NFDI (Nationale Forschungsdateninfrastruktur) project DAPHNE4NFDI.
We are seeking a motivated and collaborative person to support our cross-platform software development and deployment, primarily within photon science but also with connection to software groups in the wider photon science community outside DESY.
About your role:
- Support the development and deployment of software for scientific data processing and management
- Deployment of software across multiple operating systems (primarily Linux and Mac OS) including Cl/CD and container technoloqies
- Interaction with beamline scientists, users and the wider science community
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
- A university degree in physics, computer science, or a related subject, or comparable practical experience
- Knowledge of and experience in collaborative software deployment (C/C++, Python), Cl/CD (Gitlab) and containerization (Singularity, Kubernetes, OpenStack)
- Knowledge of a Linux environment, shell scripting and software build/packaging systems (at least one of CMake, Meson, Homebrew and Conda)
- Knowledge of batch systems for high-performance computing (Slurm)
- Good command (written and spoken) of both German and English
For further information please contact Anton Barty at +49 40 8998-5783 (email@example.com).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.