Job ID 2705
Date posted 06/16/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Hard X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy (HSS) program at BNL’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for studying complex and heterogeneous materials under in-situ and operando conditions. The program provides specialized spectroscopy, diffraction, and imaging facilities using synchrotron-generated X-ray beams, and computational resources for high-throughput analysis and modeling. Within this program, the High Energy Engineering X-ray Scattering (HEX) beamline is designed to enable time-dependent 2D and 3D imaging and diffraction with a strong focus on in-situ measurements using high-energy X-rays. The mission of the HEX beamline is to help advance clean energy technologies and creative energy storage solutions and to support engineering materials development in NY State and beyond.
NSLS-II has an opening for a beamline scientist to join the HEX beamline team. This position is needed to develop and maintain a tomographic system consisting of a comprehensive, state-of-the-art imaging equipment, and the software for data acquisition and reconstruction in support of the scientific mission of NSLS-II. Working together with the HSS program staff, the successful candidate will support the high volume user research program at the HEX beamline. The candidate is expected to engage in internal and external scientific collaborations that leverage the unique capabilities of the beamline. The candidate will be involved in commissioning, maintaining and upgrading the instrumentation and the software for optimized, fast, full-field imaging using hard X-rays. The candidate’s responsibilities will include user support, design of complex in-situ and operando experimental protocols, and particularly the active support of development of data analysis and processing protocols in collaboration with the Data Science & Systems Integration (DSSI) team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with a team of scientists and software engineers to define and implement the best strategies in X-ray imaging instrumentation and scientific data handling
- Support HEX users during their measurements at the HEX beamline and advise them on data-reduction and reconstruction.
- Take the lead in developing new computational approaches and methods to extract maximum scientific information from experimental data.
- Collaborate with other DOE facilities active in the field of synchrotron-based tomography.
- Present work and results at scientific meetings, and travel to multiple scientific facilities throughout the world.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in Physical Science, Materials Science, Applied Mathematics or related field.
- At least 4 years of hands-on experience in operating and maintaining X-ray imaging instrumentation
- Established expertise with experimental protocols and data acquisition at either a synchrotron beamline or at a lab CT-machine.
- Significant contributions to the field of computed tomographic data reduction, reconstruction, or analysis.
- Working experience in scientific computing or large scale data management in a Linux environment.
- Employed open-source and commercial software for image reconstruction.
- Demonstrated experience in Python and C/C++.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Performed user-oriented activities such as local contact duties.
- Demonstrated collaborations in the field of X-ray tomography.
- Familiar with the working principles of imaging sensors, visible light scintillators, and optical coupling.
- Working experience in the use of X-ray optics such as monochromators and mirrors for hard X-rays.
- Proficiency in the use of sound software engineering methodologies.
- Demonstrated record in collaborative software development.
- Working knowledge of control systems (EPICS preferred) and common techniques for automated data collection.
- Occasional travel.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.