DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The European XFEL is the world leading hard x-ray free electron laser installation. One task of the group MVS is to prepare and improve the photocathodes operated in the photoinjector of the European XFEL to ensure continuous operation.
- Preparation of photocathodes for the European XFEL
- Analysis of photocathodes after preparation and after operation
- Improvement of existing preparation techniques
- Design, set-up and commissioning of new photocathode preparations and analysis systems
- PhD degree in Physics, Physics Technology, Chemistry or equivalent qualification
- Practical experience with UHV systems is required
- Expertise in PVD techniques is required
- Expertise in surface analysis e.g. with AES or XPS is required
- Experience in preparation and characterization of photocathodes are advantageous
For further information please contact Dr. Sven Lederer 040-8998-5499.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA034/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.