European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The Undulator Systems group at European XFEL is responsible to maintain the existing undulator systems as well as to develop the technology of superconducting undulators (SCUs) to be implemented in the European XFEL improving the performance of the photon beams offered to the users. In the next years tests of SCUs in the EuXFEL are foreseen. In addition, in order to characterize the SCUs two test stands are under development in collaboration with DESY. The group is also taking responsibility on the superconducting magnets installed and to be implemepted in future upgrades.
For our Undulator Systems group, we are looking for a
Scientist for Superconducting Magnets (f/m/d)
- Design, operation and measurements of superconducting magnets at European XFEL in close collaboration with DESY groups. In particular:
- writing functional specifications, organize collaborations to develop, procure and magnetically characterize sc magnets needed for different subsystems at EuXFEL as the solenoid for the superconducting gun and quadrupoles for new SRF and SCU modules
- support operation and maintenance of installed sc quadrupoles and steerers
- upgrade the existing test stand used for the qualification of the XFEL sc quadrupole magnets and organize/perform training of the coils and magnetic field measurements
- Master in physics or engineering
- Hands on experience in laboratory environment
- Experience in one of the following fields: accelerator physics, cryogenics, superconducting magnets, accelerator based photon science
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team with English as working language
For additional information, please contact Sara Casalbuoni (email@example.com) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress and participate in our international networks. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany, this includes for example:
- family friendly working environment (e.g. additional childcare days)
- flexible working times and option for work from home depending on tasks
- 30 days of vacation, 24th and 31st of December are free as a courtesy of the employer
- extensive relocation benefits
- generous company pension scheme (6,45% of monthly salary)
- monthly social events and subsidized company restaurant
- partially financed job-tickets for public transportation
- extensive training opportunities incl. subsidized English and German language classes
Among our international staff, our company language is English.
The appointment is limited to 3 years.
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter and your CV in English as well as reference letters in one single pdf-file.
The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we promote and support diverse and heterogenous teams. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.