Remuneration Group 13 | Limited: 30.09.2026 | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FHMA018/2022 | Deadline: 06.10.2022 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Information Technology (IT) group supports the DESY divisions in all aspects of information and communication technology and creates the digital environment for the scientific work of DESY users, as well as for the many other tasks in the areas of accelerator development, technical infrastructure and administration. The Information Fabrics group supports the user community at DESY by providing the required tools.
DAPHNE4NFDI is a project within the National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI). The aim is to enable open access to research data from photon and neutron experiments, to integrate user-oriented solutions and to utilize an extensive scientific infrastructure. The project is a partnership between 7 research institutions and 11 universities from different scientific disciplines and other international partners.
Your task will be to support DAPHNE4NFDI users to implement tailor-made integrations or to design, implement and launch new services using cloud architectures and federated AAI in a high-performance infrastructure. You will initially set up and operate a service based on SciCat, which enables convenient and partially automated ingesting of metadata from experiments and facilitates better use of the data according to the FAIR principles. You will also develop and implement further solutions to support scientific work in consultation with the project participants.
About your role:
- Supporting the various scientific groups from the fields of Photon and Neutron Sciences by development, introduction and operation of research-related IT services
- Actively supporting the groups during commissioning of the services
- Analysing requirements, surveying the market and selecting solutions in consultation with the scientific groups
- Testing and evaluating possible solutions
- Developing of software for integration into the DAPHNE4NFDI service environment
- Documenting of the software and services
- Informing and training the user groups and other IT groups regarding the implemented solutions
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
- A university degree (M.Sc.) in computer science, physics or equivalent completed scientific training
- Enthusiasm for science and in particular for supporting of scientists in their projects
- Ability to correctly select technologies and solutions for existing problems
- Experience in the implementation of IT solutions, as well as in the operation and maintenance of services for science
- Experience in determining requirements and scientific process flows
- Ability to communicate effectively in German and English, both verbally and in writing
For further information please contact Peter van der Reest at +49 40 8998-3315 (email@example.com).
Please submit your complete application documents (letter of motivation, CV and relevant certificates) via our application portal.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.