DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
DESY’s free-electron laser FLASH offers unique opportunities for multidisciplinary research in the extreme ultraviolet (XUV) and soft X-ray range. The very intense, femtosecond pulses in combination with synchronized optical laser systems and strong phase locked THz pulses allow exploring ultrafast time-scales using pump-probe techniques. In the THz-beamline team at FLASH, we have an immediate opening for a postdoctoral fellow for the development of a permanent user endstation for XUV/THz pump-probe experiments. The research activity will have a main focus on solid state and surface physics. Together with the THz beamline team the candidate will be intensively involved in R&D activities and user operation support as well as conducting own FEL experiments.
- Development of a permanent user endstation for solid state and surface physics at the XUV/THz pump-probe beamline
- Participation in further development of the high-field THz sources at FLASH1, with particular emphasis on diagnostics instrumentation and development of novel XUV/THz pump-probe techniques
- Giving high-quality support to international user groups during experiment campaigns involving XUV/THz pump-probe experiments at FLASH with active participation in the experiments
- Contribution to the in-house research program at FLASH utilizing XUV/THz pump-probe techniques
- PhD in experimental physics or a related field
- Hands-on experience with ultrafast pump-probe experiments involving THz (infrared) and UV/soft X-ray sources
- Experience with ultrafast radiation sources, preferentially with ultrafast accelerator-based sources
- Background in short-pulse interactions with matter as well as solid state and surface physics is desirable
- Team player with excellent communication skills in English to pursue highly collaborative research programs and work in large international collaborations
For further information please contact Nikola Stojanovic +49-40-8998-4526, email@example.com.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.