Reference No.: BE 2021/12
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) operates the synchrotron radiation facility BESSY II as well as the Metrology Light Source (MLS) in Berlin-Adlershof for an international user community. The Institute for Accelerator Physics and the Department Accelerator Operation operate and drive the development of these user facilities. More than hundred technicians, engineers and physicists work in a creative environment to guarantee reliable and highest quality user operation of up to 5000h per year and to advance the capabilities of the accelerators to serve the rising demands of our users. Furthermore, HZB is preparing a conceptual design study to propose upgrades to BESSY II and MLS:
At the HZB, we boost the advancement of existing accelerators as well as the planning of future accelerators by developing digital twins. Comparable upgrades that have been carried out show that digital twins are essential for the preparation of the control system as well as for the commissioning of fourth-generation light sources.
The digital twins to be developed at HZB will enable new commissioning tools, the investigation of effects observed in the machine and the training of operators.
- Design and build the digital twin software stack for BESSY II and MLS with a DevOps oriented work flow
- Plan and implement models based on machine learning for long lasting simulations
- Team with control group engineers for proper mapping to the EPICS control system
- Support the digital twin in the control room and participate in digital twin evaluation shifts
- Contribute to the Conceptual Design Reports for BESSY III and MLS II
- Masters in informatics, computer science or mathematics. A PhD or equivalent experience will be considered as an advantage.
- Proven experience with developing scientific computation, data processing or communication software within a team for at least three years or solid proven educational background in this field
- Proficiency in Python, C++, or Java for at least three years
- Experience with real time environments, large scale control systems, middle ware design and development, configuration databases product life cycle developments, or software design pattern swill be considered as an advantage.
- Result-oriented and problem-solving mindset while showing the ability to work well in a team with good English skills in speech and writing. Practical knowledge of the German language will be considered as an advantage.
- An attractive and secure workplace with plenty of room and excellent opportunities for professional and personal development
- Challenging tasks in a highly attractive working environment with a wide range of high-end technologies and high-precision measuring instruments, including participation in exciting and future-oriented projects
- A collegial, interdisciplinary work environment with specialists in hardware-related programming, electronics, high-frequency engineering, cryogenics/mechanics/vacuum technology etc.
- Flexible working times for an excellent work-life balance, including home office and remote work options, as well as 39-hour week
- Extensive social benefits, e.g. company pension scheme, company health management, company sports club etc.
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 07.12.2021. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com.