European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The Sample Environment and Characterization group of the European XFEL provides state-of-the-art sample preparation, characterization and delivery techniques for a wide range of different scientific fields. To support user operation, the group maintains laboratory space and equipment for internal and external user groups. In particular, the group operates an advanced photoelectron spectroscopy setup based on a KREIOS-150 spectrometer with UV and XPS lab sources and a sample preparation chamber equipped with an MCP LEED/Auger. Two scanning electron microscopes one of them being a dual beam with a focused ion beam source (FIB) are in operation.
To strengthen our Sample Environment and Characterization group we are looking for a
Scientist (f/m/d) photoelectron spectroscopy
- Operate and further develop a lab-based photoelectron spectrometer with sample preparation chamber
- Prepare and characterize potential samples for XFEL research and perform post mortem studies after experiments with the FEL beam
- Take active role in research in-house and at external user facilities
- Train PhD students and scientists in operation of the photoelectron spectrometer
- Take responsibility for user support and maintenance of a scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- Take safety responsibility for the electron spectroscopy laboratory
- Participate in other Sample Environment group scientific and user support activities
- PhD in physics, chemistry or equivalent qualification
- Extensive experience in photoelectron spectroscopy
- Experience in synchrotron, or XFEL, or higher harmonic generation (HHG) systems based research
- Experience with ultra-high vacuum devices and surface science
- Experience with scanning electron microscopy and/or focused ion beam is an asset
- Very good communication skills, proactive approach and collaborative personality
- Ability to work cleanly and neatly, and maintain records of work done
- English is the working language
For additional information, please contact Joachim Schulz (email@example.com) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is initially limited to 3 years, an extension is possible.
21 April 2021
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.