The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
The SwissFEL is a fourth-generation X-ray light source capable of producing femtosecond X-rays and enabling new classes of experiments in physics, materials science, chemistry and biology. The pump laser group is responsible for the development and operation of several amplified femtosecond laser systems used in conjunction with the SwissFEL for performing time-resolved experiments in a pump-probe configuration.
For the Pumplaser Group within the Laboratory for Nonlinear Optics (LNO) we are looking for a Scientist, Ultrafast laser physics, nonlinear optics and condensed matter physics.
- Contribute to experiments using the femtosecond laser system at the soft-X-ray ATHOS line of the X-ray free electron laser SwissFEL as well as work in a team supporting operations at the existing hard-X-ray ARAMIS lines
- Develop new capabilities for producing a range of wavelengths for experiments ranging from THz to UV, and also develop novel schemes for tailoring pump laser pulses for particular experiments
- Pursue independent research in line with objectives of the facility
- You hold a PhD degree in physics or a related field and have specific familiarity with amplified femtosecond laser systems
- You bring demonstrated experience in developing and using high-power femtosecond lasers for experimental work, preferably with a focus on ultrafast dynamics in condensed matter systems
- Prior experience at working large-scale facilities is desirable, as is experience with integrating femtosecond lasers with X-ray spectroscopy and with a variety of nonlinear wavelength conversion methods to generate intense mid- and far-infrared (THz) radiation
- Social competence is also important in this dynamic team environment
- Good language skills in English are essential, knowledge of German is useful
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure. This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr Steven Johnson, phone +41 44 633 76 31.
Please submit your application online by 15 August 2019 (including motivation letter, CV, list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Scientist (index no. 6612-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Elke Baumann, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland
To apply for this job please visit www.psi.ch.