DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
DESY operates one of the world’s brightest storage-ring-based hard X-ray radiation source. Since 2009 PETRA III offers scientists outstanding opportunities for experiments with X-rays of exceptionally high brilliance. Within the scope of the PETRA III extension project the storage ring was upgraded in 2014 to meet the high demand for beam time. Presently, 21 undulator beamlines are in operation, while additional new beamlines will become operational in the next years. To maintain and enhance the high beam quality the operation of the accelerator must be continuously improved and the dynamics of the electron beam has to be carefully studied. Research activities are aiming towards future upgrade scenarios of PETRA III, including the possible conversion of PETRA into a diffraction-limited radiation source, PETRA IV, for which the risk mitigation strategy will cover investigations at PETRA III including beam dynamics and the test of new technical subsystems. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our PETRA III operation and accelerator physics team.
- Participate in accelerator physics studies and their analysis for PETRA III
- Participate in the operation of PETRA III
- Advice, support and train operators in the control room in the framework of the quality management process for PETRA III
- Contribute to the risk mitigation strategy for PETRA IV
- PhD in physics or engineering science or equivalent qualification
- Several years of experience in accelerator physics
- Experience in the operation of accelerator
- Ability to communicate research results effectively, both orally and in writing, within the team and at international conferences
- Good knowledge of German is advantageous
For further information please contact Rainer Wanzenberg, +494089982496, email@example.com
The position is limited to 3 years. After 3 years there will be an evaluation for a permanent position.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: Online Application
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA026/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: 040 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: until position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.