Reference No.: FG 2019/2
The Institute for Accelerator Physics at HZB operates and develops modern particle accelerators for a variety of applications.
Together with the Institute for SRF – Science and Technology and the Operations Department it works on the upgrade of BESSY II to a variable pulse length storage ring – BESSY VSR. This new concept allows the simultaneous operation of the light source with high brightness and picosecond timing resolution.
For the future, HZB is working on a concept for BESSY III, a Soft-X-Ray Multi-User Synchrotron-Light-Source Facility as a successor to BESSY II.
The employment contract is limited to 3 years with the option of a permanent employment contract.
- Numerical calculations and analysis of wakefields and vacuum chamber impedances.
- Optimization of all kind of vacuum chamber component designs, in close collaboration with the engineers of the vacuum group, to reduce interaction effects of the electron beam with the vacuum chamber.
- Calculation of the impedance budgets of HZBs lectron storage rings.
- Execution of machine studies for the verification of the obtained results and for the characterization of new vacuum chamber installations.
- Numerical field calculation for the optimization of RF cavities for acceleration and diagnostic purposes.
- Contribution to the development of numerical methods appropriate for wakefield computations at very high frequencies.
- PhD in physics or a related discipline.
- Extensive experience in numerical field calculations with programs like CST Studio©.
- Profund understanding of electromagnetic field behavior.
- Experience in performing time-domain, frequency-domain and eigenmode simulations to calculate the beam – vacuum chamber interactions.
- Basic knowledge of the mechanical and RF design of vacuum chambers and other vacuum installations like diagnostic devices, valves, collimators, … .
- Basic knowledge of the physics and beam dynamics of electron accelerators.
What we offer
Fixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to apply
Have we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 30.04.2019.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com.