Limited: 1 year and 10 months | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FHMA011/2021 | Deadline: 31.05.2021 | Full-time
DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The DESY group “Information Technology” (IT) is leading a variety of national and European projects, evaluating new and innovative IT technologies. The ambition of this particular project (ExPaNDS) is to enrich the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) with data management services and to coordinate activities to enable national Photon and Neutron (PaN) Research Infrastructures to make the majority of their data ‘open’ following FAIR principles and to harmonise their efforts to make their data catalogues and data analysis services accessible through the EOSC, thereby enabling them to be shared in a uniform way. The ExPaNDS team is looking for a scientist to support them in building modern cloud based computing pipelines for Photon and Neutron science and to make their data findable by contributing to the metadata workpackage.
- Supporting Photon and Neutron scientists in building modern, cloud-based computing workflows
- Supporting Photon and Neutron scientists in handling and federating scientific metadata
- Supporting the administrative workpackage of ExPaNDS
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration according to the collective labour agreement (TV-AVH).
- You have completed a master’s degree in computer science, physics, mathematics or related subjects or comparable knowledge
- You have good knowledge in designing and setting up modern cloud infrastructures, like OpenStack, Kubernetes and similar
- You have knowledge in handling scientific metadata
- You have knowledge in organising geographically distributed international teams
- Basic knowledge of Photon or Neutron science would be of advantage
- You are a team player, like traveling and enjoy working in large international teams
- You have good spoken and written command of the English language
For further information please contact Patrick Fuhrmann +49 40 8998-4474, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
DESY promotes the professional development of women and therefore strongly encourages women to apply for the position to be filled. In addition, severely handicapped persons with equal aptitude are given preferential consideration. The advertised positions are basically suitable for part-time employment.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.