Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
About the Role
At Diamond we now have an opportunity for a talented Senior Electrical Engineer to join our Installation and Facilities Management (IFM) Group. IFM is responsible for all technical aspects of the electrical facility ensuring they are statutory compliant, while integrating new projects, buildings and electrical enhancements to the existing facility. IFM is responsible for all power on site, from the High Voltage distribution to Low Voltage network supplying the accelerators, beamlines, laboratories and offices.
The electrical facility encompasses
- 11kV & 3.3kV High Voltage Network including protection relays
- LV Switchboards & Protection Relays and metering
- Critical and essential supplies with UPS and standby Diesel generator systems
- Earthing and Lightning Protection Systems
- Lighting & Emergency Lighting Systems
- Fire Alarm & Voice Activation System including smoke extract fans and curtains
- Energy conservation; Solar PV systems
The key duties of the role will include:
- Project Management for small to medium sized projects ensuring technical compliance to the specification and contract.
- Management of external consultants, contractors, service engineers and suppliers including ‘design and build’ contracts.
- Providing high level technical support including technical reports, fault diagnosis and assessment investigations, electrical enhancement and efficiency proposals.
- Being a technical specialist in electrical systems including; protection, harmonics, inverters, solar PV, electrical noise / EMC and earthing systems.
- Carrying out Safe Systems of Work including permits, risk assessments, method statements and controlling of contractors applicable to both CDM and non-CDM projects.
You will have a Degree in Electrical Engineering or demonstrate equivalent experience, and either be chartered or working toward being a Chartered Engineer.
You will demonstrate experience of:
- HV & LV Electrical systems including protection grading, harmonics, EMC, electrical noise, and associated earthing systems to counter electrical noise.
- Project management, including working on significant engineering projects.
- HSE and CDM legislation, preparations and reviewing of RAMS, operating Safe Systems of work, and issuing electrical permits.
It is desirable for you to be a HV Senior Authorised Person with high voltage experience of operating and switching 11kV networks.
You will display excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications 3rd July 2022. Interviews will be held in mid July.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.