Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research and development across a range of scientific disciplines.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for a Senior Beamline Technician to support scientific research on Diamond’s state-of-the-art SAXS/WAXS beamlines I22 and DL-SAXS and within their associated Sample Environment Development lab. Science on these beamlines covers a large range of applications such as bio-medical, biomaterials, energy materials, environmental, pharmaceutical and materials research.
The main responsibility of the Technician is to support the scientists and technical support groups during beamline maintenance, commissioning, and operations.
The Technician will help maintain existing equipment, they will work with the beamline scientists and engineers in designing and installing new equipment as part of beamline upgrades. They will also assist with experimental set up, designing and machining small pieces of equipment such as sample holders, and integrating ancillary equipment into the experimental areas.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Helping visitors to carry out experiments on both beamlines and in the Sample Environment Development Lab.
- The installation, maintenance and upgrading of bespoke, prototype and high-tech equipment such as ultra-High Vacuum optical components, Vacuum equipment and detectors, motion stages and sample environment and robotic sample handling equipment.
- Working with support staff for maintaining the beamlines and Sample Environment Development Lab, provide permits to work, supervise work with external companies.
- Carrying out regular inspection of installed equipment to comply with safety regulations.
The role will require the ability to work flexibly when required, including some weekend and out of hours working, as well as occasional travel.
You will demonstrate a combination of technical experience and relevant qualifications, including similar work experience, ideally building on an Engineering apprenticeship.
You will demonstrate:
- Excellent knowledge of Health and Safety and associated documentation, including risk assessments as well experience in ensuring that equipment is integrated and installed to a high standard.
- Knowledge of vacuum techniques including vacuum pumps, gauges, and sample manipulation, with the ability to carry out a variety of intricate mechanical and electrical assembly tasks.
- Ability to coordinate operations to strict timeframes.
- Any experience of CAD drawing and 3D printing is an advantage
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The initial closing date for applications is 9th October 2022, however applications will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis until this vacancy is filled.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.