- Ongoing | Full Time | $98k – $110k +15.4% super
- Clayton | Work-life balance | Health & Wellbeing Programs
- Great opportunity for an experienced engineer/physicist to work in a unique facility
- ANSTO encourages flexibility in the workplace and part time work arrangements will be considered.
The Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) is home to Australia’s nuclear science and technical expertise. More than 1000 scientists, engineers and experts work at ANSTO and use nuclear science and technology to answer the big questions in the world around us – improving health outcomes, increasing our understanding of the environment and climate change and identifying new opportunities for Australian industry.
The Australian Synchrotron (AS) is a division within ANSTO and one of the nation’s premier research facilities that provides a vibrant focal point for researchers and industry from Australia, NZ and further afield. Employing more than 140 staff in diverse areas of synchrotron science, engineering and corporate support, the facility provides world-leading technical capability that delivers better and faster experimental techniques that enhance fundamental and applied research. The facility promotes international collaboration to enable leading-edge research and development that will greatly benefit Australia and our regional neighbours.
About the position
The Accelerator Physics and Operations group is responsible for the operation, maintenance and development of the accelerator systems. The group performs research and development aimed at improving the reliability and performance of the accelerator systems, as well as taking part in international research collaborations.
Reporting to the Manager, Accelerator physics, the Senior RF Engineer will contribute to the design, development and troubleshooting of the accelerator RF systems to enhance capabilities of the accelerator systems and will support the research activities of the Accelerator group. You will work closely with the Principal RF Engineer to support the maintenance and reliability of the RF systems and conceptualise engineering solutions in collaboration with the Synchrotron engineering groups.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide specialised advice and skills on the accelerator RF Systems to the group to ensure that knowledge is transferred within the group and to allow for the timely and efficient rectification of problems
- Support the reliable operation of the RF systems to ensure beam availability.
- Develop the capability and capacity of the RF systems in order to meet future machine requirements.
- Support and participate in group research activities, particularly where it relates to development of RF technology. Continuously review and optimise the existing systems with regards to factors such as running cost, ease of maintenance, availability of spares and reliability.
Skills and Experience
- Degree level or equivalent experience in RF, telecommunication and Electronics / Electrical Engineering or Physics
- Several years demonstrated practical experience working with RF systems for particle accelerators or similar applications.
- Ability to maintain and troubleshoot RF systems and pro-actively solve problems in a logical, systematic and methodical way, using an innovative approach.
- Knowledge in any of the following fields will be considered desirable: accelerator physics, RF simulation tools and accelerating structures, analogue and digital processing, microprocessor applications, low level RF, high voltage measuring techniques, systems engineering
“This is an exciting opportunity to work on advanced accelerator technologies in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team. We are looking for someone that is inquisitive, innovative and brings an open, collaborative attitude.” – Rohan Dowd, Manager –
Why join ANSTO?
ANSTO employees are passionate about what they do. We enjoy being part of an organisation making a difference in the lives of Australians.
We support and reward our employees through eligibility for:
- Training, development and mentoring opportunities
- Performance based salary increases
- Work-life balance with generous leave entitlements and flexible conditions
With sites in New South Wales and Victoria, we have free onsite parking, health and wellbeing programs and an onsite cafés.
For further technical information relating to this position please refer to the Position Information Package or contact Rohan Dowd on +61 3 8540 4108 . For all other queries please contact the HR Shared Services Team on +61 (02) 9717 3111 .
To be eligible for appointment, applicants will require a security and pre-employment medical assessment
Australian Citizens Preferred.
Applications must be submitted online.
In order to solve great challenges, we need great minds and great teams. At ANSTO, we understand that diverse teams produce better outcomes – and we value the merit that a diverse perspective can bring to our team. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply for our roles including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, primary carers, those with a disability, and women in STEM. ANSTO is a charter member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) initiative and is proudly taking action to create a gender-inclusive workforce.
To apply for this job please visit anstocareers.nga.net.au.