Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for an experienced Senior SHE Advisor to join our SHE Group, to coordinate and assist in the management, implementation and maintenance of the Company’s SHE management system and associated processes.
Alongside this support, you will:
- Deputise for the Group Head, attend / chair committees and meetings and be present on site during out of office hours as required.
- Lead and coordinate SHE initiatives and projects.
- Lead in the development and maintenance of the SHE document management system.
- Provide proactive general SHE advice across Diamond’s operations and specialise in designated areas of SHE, fulfilling delegated roles. This requires the post holder to grasp complex systems and techniques to assist and advise on effective and often novel control strategies to ensure the health and safety of staff, Users, visiting scientists, and visitors
- Support the Experimental Risk Assessment process including the evaluation of risk assessments for beam-time proposals. This may include literature research into proposed methods, materials, and equipment.
You will hold a relevant SREM qualification (e.g., Degree, HND or HNC) along with a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent and be working towards CMIOSH or equivalent.
Ideally you will also have:
- Broad post-qualification experience in a relevant SHE role in a technical environment.
- Extensive chemical safety knowledge & experience
- Experience of implementing health and safety management systems
- Experience of one or more of the following: Laser safety / environmental management / explosive atmosphere safety / engineering safety / construction safety
You will also have excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport quickly and effectively. You should be self-motivated, with the ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site, including a nursery, cafes, restaurant and sports and leisure facilities.
We take an active approach to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our activities at Diamond, with a dedicated commitment to ensuring we provide a fulfilling and enjoyable place to work, where all staff feel valued and recognised for their individual contribution.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications is 22nd May 2022 however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.