Provides technical support and operation assistance to the Microscopy group. Provides mechanical, electronic, controls, and software support for beamline operation. Assists scientific and engineering staff with installation and commissioning of new instruments, as well as the design and development of advanced instrumentation. Acts as the primary technical interface with other APS support and engineering groups. Provides repairs and maintenance as part of beamline development and operations as well as user experiments. In support of beamline operations, prepares fabrication and assembly procedures, prepares and monitors procurement of system components, and coordinates assembly and testing of components and systems.
• Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience, or Master’s Degree and 3+ years of experience, or a Doctorate.
• Experience in design, development, support and operation of complex and large-scale instrumentation in a scientific user environment.
• Knowledge of equipment and techniques for maintenance and diagnostics relating to beamline operations, precision motion control, custom electronics, and computer systems.
• Experience with CAD programs for basic measurement and design such as Solidworks.
• Knowledge of interactions with scientific staff and research groups.
• Knowledge of mechanical designs, vacuum technology, motion controls, and electronic components, as well as computer control systems.
• Skills in troubleshooting, diagnostics, and independent judgments in technical problem-solving.
• Knowledge of linux based operating systems, EPICS, caQtDM, and python scripting is desirable.
• Knowledge of complex motion control systems and laser interferometry used for encoded motion control is desirable.
Research Development (RD)
Systems and Design Engineering 2
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
To apply for this job please visit argonne.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.