Unlimited | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: APMA007/2022 | Deadline: 31.05.2022 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Photo-Injector Test facility at DESY in Zeuthen (PITZ, near Berlin) focuses on the development of high brightness electron sources for Free Electron Lasers (FELs) such as FLASH and the European XFEL as well as on applications of high brightness beams like the world’s first THz SASE FEL and unique research capabilities for tumor radiotherapy and radiation biology. We are looking for a senior scientist with strong theoretical and experimental background in accelerators, who will play a leading role in the further development of the research fields together with local and international cooperation partners.
- Work in one of the leading groups developing and testing photo injectors and their applications (e.g. THz source, radiation biology and FLASH therapy) in an international team of physicists and engineers
- Take responsibility in defining, coordinating, performing, and analyzing the scientific programs at PITZ
- Be in charge of simulation studies, data taking and analysis procedures, as well as diagnostics hardware components
- Develop innovative concepts, techniques and applications for PITZ and other accelerator facilities
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
- Excellent university degree in physics or engineering with PhD or equivalent qualification
- Deep knowledge in accelerator physics and experience in accelerator techniques and beam dynamics
- Interest in and capability of guiding small teams of PhD students and postdocs
- Good knowledge of English is required as well as the willingness to learn German
For further information please contact Dr. Frank Stephan at +49 33762 77338 (email@example.com)
Applications (in German or English) should include a detailed curriculum vitae, publication list, explanations and evidence of experience background and 3 names for references.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.