This position is available at Argonne National Laboratory’s Advanced Photon Source (APS).
An experienced programmer with X-ray scientific background is required to support operations at the Life Sciences Collaborative Access Team (LS-CAT). LS-CAT is a highly productive molecular crystallography beamline requiring someone to help support the current infrastructure. In addition, this is a very exciting time with the APS undergoing a major upgrade in April 2023 and LS-CAT needs to implement new equipment and controls to take advantage of the vastly improved X-ray source.
Participates as technical expert in design, development, coding, testing, and/or debugging of major new software and/or significant enhancements to existing software which may include applications over multiple platforms. Guides and advises junior staff. Manages complex projects independently and assists in estimating and planning for future development work. Performs complex system integration tasks.
- Provides application development leadership for new and existing software applications.
- Partners with user in designing features for technology.
- Provides recommendation on how to enhance system for future growth.
- Advises/recommends project and activities as related to system/architectural direction and strategy.
- Develops and implements procedures for data security, management and compliance
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Creates ad hoc administrative reports.
- Delivers system presentations and overviews.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Researches new technologies to enhance current system.
- Provides technical leadership on projects.
- Acts as subject matter expert (SME) in appropriate technologies and business domain.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents all phases of applications development.
- Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
- Troubleshoots complex, difficult issues.
- Designs databases and data structures.
- Provides recommendations on how to enhance system to meet full business requirements.
- Determines project feasibility and how to integrate with current system.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 4 years relevant experience required.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Proven programming capabilities in C, Python or a related language.
- Database management and experience with SQL/MySQL/Postgres/Redis
- Knowledge of UNIX/LINUX systems administration.
- Hardware and software engineering
- User interface design
- 5 years experience with motion control systems
- Synchrotron X-ray instrumentation.
- Protein crystallography, X-ray scattering and X-ray spectroscopy.
- Configuration management systems.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- EPICS (Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System).
- Motion control systems (e.g. PMAC, Galil, Newport).
- Robotics automation and integration (e.g. EPSON, Kuka).
- Data acquisition systems (e.g. VME, NI).
- PLC Systems (Schneider, Siemens, Pilz).
- Networking and IT infrastructure.
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.
To apply for this job please visit careers.northwestern.edu.