- Job title: Software Developer in Data Automation
- Contract type: Permanent contract
- Salary range:35 K€ minimum
- Publication start on Front Office : Site internet:27/07/2022
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
The scientific experiments carried out at the ESRF produce huge volumes of data, and require state-of-the-art computing & networking solutions.
The recent EBS -Extremely Brilliant Source- upgrade (https://www.esrf.fr/about/upgrade) has transformed the ESRF into the first 4th generation synchrotron. The new scientific possibilities offered by this innovation, combined with new instruments, open up exciting scientific opportunities while increasing the complexity of the data produced by the experiments.
To ensure an optimal exploitation of this data, the next generation of experiments will combine new techniques emerging from the coherent X-ray source which need new automated data reduction and processing workflows to be implemented, including online data visualisation.
Within the Instrumentation Support and Development Division (ISDD) of the ESRF, the Data Automation Unit (DAU) is in charge of maintaining and developing scientific software for the ESRF, in relation to online and offline data processing. In this stimulating context, we are seeking our next team member in the Data Automation Unit.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will join the teams in charge of developing the software for data visualization and analysis. Your responsibilities will be the following:
- Develop and maintain software for automating workflows for processing scientific data
- Develop graphical displays of scientific data for workflows in web / Qt and Jupyter
- Implement Nexus metadata for scientific techniques,
- Develop and maintain tools for the HDF5 data format
- Work in collaboration with scientists for gathering software requirements.
We will rely on your ability to understand data analysis requirements and propose working solutions.
- You hold a Higher university degree (Master or equivalent diploma offering 300 ECTS) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Bioinformatics, Engineering or related area.
- You have at least 3 years of experience in scientific programming in the field of data analysis and visualisation.
- Applications are encouraged from highly skilled programmers in the field of data analysis and visualisation. A scientific degree or background would be an asset.
- You have good knowledge of scientific data processing, web development and visualisation. Experience in automating data processing especially of large datasets is highly desirable, particularly using workflows.
- Knowledge of Python, a high-level graphics library (Qt/React) in addition to best practices in developing code i.e. versioning, continuous integration, packaging and code management, will be considered essential. Proven contributions to open source projects will also be considered an advantage
- Proficient use of English (working language at the ESRF).
- Ability to work in a team and independently, good communication and presentation skills are all essential for this position.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Be inspired by our innovative research institute, with an international workforce from 38 different countries
- Collaborate with global experts on real-world science
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.