The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
The ESRF has started an ambitious modernisation programme named “Extremely Brilliant Source” (EBS, http://ebs.esrf.fr/about-esrf-ebs/) in which the existing storage ring will be replaced by a brand new one with challenging characteristics. As part of the programme, a new experiment control system is being developed including the integration of new hardware, an object-oriented and plug-in based scanning and sequencing engine written in Python and the usage of Tango as the high-level distributed system.
You will join a team of 17 software developers, the Beamline Control Unit (BCU), contributing to these developments, as well as the continuous integration, testing, deployment and commissioning on the ESRF experimental stations (beamlines).
The BCU is also responsible for the control systems of 42 beamlines and as a member, you will also participate in the help-desk and standby service for scientific experiments, ensuring software advice for a set of beamlines.
Your missions will be the following:
- Core features development for the new experiment control system
- Development and documentation of modules to integrate new hardware
- Development and maintenance of Tango modules used by the new experiment control system
- Improvement of the generic graphical tools
- Installation and commissioning of the control system on the ESRF beamlines
- Long term support
- Software support for experiments: coordination with scientists, project follow-up, improvements, trouble shooting
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent diploma worth at least 300 ECTS) in Software engineering or related discipline.
- 5 to 10 years of professional experience in software development
- Strong skills in Python and PyQt programming, object-oriented software architecture and quality assurance
- Skills in C++ programming will be considered an advantage
- Experience in the field of distributed control systems and software design
- Curiosity and good communication skills are required, so that you may interact with people of different domains such as physicists, electronics and software engineers
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
This position corresponds to a permanent contract.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 36 – 46 k€ and additional allowances may apply (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 26/08/2018.
To apply for this job please visit www.esrf.eu.