The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
time-limited contract (3 years max)
The ESRF has started an ambitious upgrade programme (Extremely Brilliant Source – EBS). As part of the EBS programme, a new beamline dedicated to hard x-ray microscopy will be constructed, using expertise and instrumentation gained on a prototype installation on beamline ID06. An important part of the project is to develop data analysis tools for the user community of the beamline. In close collaboration with the software engineers of the ESRF Data Analysis Unit, you will work to develop software for the analysis and interpretation of x-ray microscopy data sets consisting of hundreds or thousands of high-resolution images. Further information about the post can be obtained from Carsten Detlefs (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Vicente Sole (email@example.com).
Your missions include:
- the development, implementation, and optimization of data processing modules
- the definition of APIs to ensure the inter-operability of the different software components
- the integration of the components into a work-flow tool
- the documentation of your developments to ensure future maintainability
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent diploma offering 300 ECTS) in Computer Science, Engineering, Science or equivalent area
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience in software development with Python
- Skills in object-oriented software architecture
- Experience in the field of image processing would be a strong asset
- A strong background in natural sciences or mathematics is of advantage
- Curiosity and good communication skills are required, so that you may interact with people of different domains such as physicists, electronics and software engineers
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 33 – 40 k€ and additional allowances may apply. The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 30/10/2018.
To apply for this job please visit www.esrf.eu.