ALBA is the national synchrotron light source, a large research infrastructure based on an electron synchrotron, ten operating beamlines, three more under construction, and complementary facilities. The light produced by 3 GeV electrons is used by thousands of researchers to analyze and understand the properties of matter, covering a huge variety of fields, as health, energy production and storage, environmental problems, communication technologies, cultural heritage.
ALBA is facing the evolution towards the 4th generation, which will produce a more brilliant and coherent source, new beamlines, advanced data analytics, all together enhancing the facility capacities of providing answers to societal challenges.
Located in Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona, Spain), it is funded by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación) and the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya, Departament d’Empresa i Coneixement).
ALBA is a perfect spot to promote your professional career: international atmosphere, highly motivated staff, multidisciplinary environment and located in a natural park, well connected by car and public transport.
This position covers a temporary staff leave, and it has an estimated duration of 7 months.
The Controls and Data Acquisition section consists of 18 staff members and designs, develops, operates and supports the control systems of the accelerators, beamlines, personnel safety and equipment protection systems, as well as for data acquisition at the beamlines.
We are looking for one Computer Engineers eager to learn and take on new challenges who will contribute to:
– Develop Software for the control system, data acquisition and data processing of the ALBA Synchrotron’s Beamlines and Accelerators.
– Participate in the development of the ALBA control system, including the core libraries, specific control developments including graphical components and support for detectors.
– Take part of scrum teams in control software development projects.
– Participate in the development, integration and support of data processing software used in our Beamlines and adjacent laboratories
– Provide support for all services related to the control systems, in particular for Accelerators and Beamlines during operation.
– University degree in Computer Science. Final year students of Computer Science degree (at least 180 ECTS achieved) will be as well accepted and shall attach their academic Transcript of Records (ToR).
– Alternatively, candidates holding Physics or Engineering degree with additional proven previous experience, guaranteeing similar technical capacities as Computer Science university degree will also be considered.
– Programming knowledge in any of C++, Python, Java, and Qt.
– The following technical capacities are considered an asset (in order of priority):
o Software Interfaces, Network-based Distributed Control Systems (e.g. TANGO, EPICS), Sardana, and Synchrotron’s Beamline Control.
o Packaging, CI/CD.
o Experience in C and Linux kernel modules and device drivers development.
o Linux administration/power user experience.
o Image processing, HPC configuration/development.
– Participation in multi-developer software projects is considered an asset.
– Ability to work both alone and as a team
– Ability to understand business needs and translate them into technical solutions
– Adaptability to work in an international and multidisciplinary environment
– Good knowledge of English
Come and join us!
To apply for this job please visit public.cells.es.