Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
To complete our team, we are looking for a:
SQS Instrument Detector Scientist (f/m/d)
- Participate in the development, commissioning and operation of MHz repetition rate pixel array detectors for the SQS scientific instruments at European XFEL.
- As an instrument detector scientist work with scientists from the detector group and SQS scientific instrument group in detector commissioning campaigns and user experiments.
- Ensure the operation of the detectors during user experiments.
- Take a significant role in the scientific activities of a the SQS scientific instrument group.
- Take a significant role in the characterisation, calibration, correction and physical interpretation of data from MHz repetition rate pixel array detectors.
- Consult and assist users with the preparation and planning of the user experiments as well as with data interpretation and correction following the completion of the experiments.
- Undertake shift work related to detector commissioning campaigns and user experiments.
- Take a significant role in defining and interpreting the scientific requirements needed for developing MHz repetition rate pixel array detectors for the SQS scientific instrument at European XFEL.
- PhD in Physics, Chemistry or equivalent.
- Several years of experience using or working at large scale experimental facilities.
- Several years of experience working with pixel array detectors established for measurement of x-rays or charge particles.
- Experience in developing methods for characterisation, calibration, correction or physical interpretation of data from pixel array detectors.
- Experience in developing such methods for large scale data sets.
- Knowledge of data acquisition systems for high repetition rate pixel array detectors.
- Strong communications skills.
- Ability to work autonomously across larger teams, frequently outside usual office working hours.
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
The employment usually starts with a temporary contract. A permanent extension is scheduled.
15 December 2020
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit 122.rexx-server.com.