Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Engineering Division has an immediate opening for a Systems and CAD Model Integration Manager to join the team.
The ALS is a dynamic national scientific user facility that provides thousands of scientists from around the world access to bright beams of x-rays, infrared, and extreme ultraviolet light for scientific studies and technology development in disciplines spanning physical, chemical, materials, biological, energy, and Earth sciences. The ALS is a global leader in soft x-ray science for more than two decades. The ALS-U project is a new project at LBNL that will ensure the facility’s leadership in this field for the next decades. It’s an exciting time to join our growing team!
The Systems and CAD Model Integration Manager on the ALS-U Project is the person responsible for effective integration of mechanical and electrical design data into a single, integrated Creo Parametric CAD model with associated metadata. The CAD model and its associated metadata serves as the master repository of mechanical and electrical design data.
You develop and maintain the ALS-U Project’s CAD model architecture, product structure, naming conventions, and modeling protocols, and you communicate and train the project’s CAD designers on these modeling aspects. You are responsible for collecting CAD models and design data from subsystems and integrating them into a full, complete model of ALS-U’s scope of work.
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs; and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- Actively participate in developing processes and practices for integration of CAD models and design information across the full span of the ALS-U project.
- Develop strategies for integrating the CAD model with disparate project data, including nonphysical data, survey and alignment data, test/measurement data, as-built data, ALS legacy data, serialized information and quality assurance data.
- Ensure ALS-U CAD models are integrated with new and on-going ALS CAD models.
- Develop and maintain the architecture for the CAD model and design data through the life of the project and transition to operations.
- Integrate CAD model into the project’s configuration management systems.
- Work with the technical team to ensure a robust CAD model.
- Accuracy and quality of the CAD model and captured design data.
- Maintain modeling standards, product structures, and naming conventions.
- Actively monitor adherence to modeling standards and practices.
- Develop training tools and provide training, direction and guidance to technical team.
- Lead a CAD model working group.
- Influence subsystem CAD modelers and designers to ensure high-quality CAD assembly models.
- Direct CAD model integration design associates.
- Develop advanced parametric models and assemblies, as needed.
- Provide project-level CAD model images, and or raytraces as needed.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in product development for medium to large sized products.
- Experience managing medium to large projects and project teams.
- Experience in technical management; demonstrated superior design performance.
- Experience leading and supervising others effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge in engineering integration (mechanical and electrical), mechanical design and fabrication.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex technical problems, exercise sound engineering judgment, and make informed decisions with a wide range in scope.
- Strong written and verbal technical communication skills.
- Broad background in the mechanical engineering and assembly of complex products with emphasis on practical hands-on experience on overseeing assembly efforts.
- Extensive knowledge of Creo Parametric, including:
- 3D CAD modeling
- Implementing practices using skeletons, shrinkwraps and simplified representations
- Large assembly management and system integration
- Extensive knowledge of Windchill Product Lifecycle Management
- Knowledge and experience with wtParts and top down design
- Demonstrated ability to monitor the level of standards adherence, and enforce standards and best practice processes, across medium size organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective engineering direction for developmental work
- Ability to interface and work within a large diverse team.
- Organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and projects.
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and experience in complex, large-scale scientific equipment and facilities, and the mechanical issues and manufacturing thereof.
- At LBNL, engineering employees may need to lift 10-20 lbs packages or boxes.
- Engineering employees will also be sitting and standing for periods of time but within appropriate ergonomic guidelines.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- MS or PhD in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience with large-scale product development and/or operations and maintenance of large user facilities, complex experiments, or industrial installation.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in accelerator and synchrotron facilities.
- Adaptability and desire to learn new skills and technologies.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a 3-year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
To apply for this job please visit 22.214.171.124.