Website BrookhavenLab NSLS-II (National Synchrotron Light Source)
Job ID 3656
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The NSLS-II Beam Operations group is seeking an Operator who will be cross trained as a Floor Coordinator. The open position requires shift work with a shift lasting 12 hours plus ½ hour dedicated to shift turnover. There are two shifts; shifts begin at 8 am and 8 pm for 2 consecutive days followed by 2 off-days. Shifts will include some weekends and holidays. The open position will be primarily overnight.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate the 24/7 NSLS-II facility during periods of user beam and accelerator studies.
- Use Control System Studio (CSS) to control and monitor all aspects of machine operations.
Floor Coordinator Duties:
- Safe operation of NSLS-II beam line experiments including safety system checkouts and monitoring user safety and conduct of experiments at the beam lines.
- Respond to machine and building emergencies as a point of contact for fire/rescue, acting as local emergency coordinator
- Respond to non-emergency machine operations issues.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field, and at least four (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office products.
- Reliable attendance
- Ability to work shifts (primarily overnight) which include some weekends and holidays.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to learn and use Control System Studio (CSS) skills (training will be provided)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic computer programming knowledge
- Use of basic hand tools.
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
- The open position is primarily for the overnight shift (8 pm to 8:30 am including turnover). Day shifts may be required to cover absences of other group members to meet shift coverage.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
- Position is Employee Referral Award Program (ERAP) eligible.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Moderate occasional lifting 20-30 lbs;
- Ability to climb ladders
- Ability to hear alarms
- Valid driver’s license, (use of Kabota, for traveling between buildings)
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.