Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The FXE (Femtosecond X-ray Experiments) scientific instrument at the European XFEL embraces several fields of ultrafast X-ray science and their applications by ultrafast pump–probe experiments on femtosecond timescales. Its main research program is devoted to dynamic studies of chemical and biochemical reactions and phase transitions in condensed matter phase systems. The FXE instrument serves a broad user community with applications in various fields with emphasis on chemical reactions dynamics, photovoltaics, artificial photosynthesis, photocatalysis and materials science.
For our FXE group we are looking for two Instrument Scientists (f/m/d)
- Participation in commissioning and development of the FXE instrumentation
- Active support of the FXE instrument operation, in particular during the user experiments
- Development of in-house research activities together with the FXE group and external collaborators
- PhD degree in physics, chemistry or equivalent
- Highly motivated for independent research involving instrumentation and methodology development but also new applications in the field of structural dynamics of condensed matter systems
- Ability to work autonomously within a larger team, frequently outside usual office working hours (during shift work periods working times include nights and weekends)
- Very good experience with X-ray spectroscopies and/or X-ray scattering techniques, ultrafast X-ray experiments or optical laser pump/X-ray probe methods is required
- Experience using FELs and/or synchrotron radiation at large-scale facilities and/or experience from working at beamlines
- Experience in advanced data analysis and programming skills (Matlab and/or Python, or similar) is an asset
- Acquaintance with femtosecond optical lasers, X-ray spectrometers, X-ray detectors, and analysis of large data sets are additional assets
For additional information, please contact Dr. Wojciech Gawelda (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is initially limited to 3 years and may become permanent subject to later decision.
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter and your CV in English as well as reference letters in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.