Unlimited | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FSMA048/2022 | Deadline: open | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
Ultrafast lasers are key to a large variety of research efforts at DESY. They are used to generate and manipulate electron beams at the free electron laser facilities FLASH and XFEL and are essential for most of the science experiments at those facilities typically realized via pump probe experiments. At DESY we are operating several of those ultrafast laser systems 24/7 at excellent availability. This is not only enabled by an excellent team of scientists and engineers but also by quality control, preventive maintenance, failure analysis and spare parts management. DESY’s ultrafast laser systems require frequent upgrades and parameter changes for upcoming scientific experiments. To ensure and improve the availability and performance and plan for upcoming needs of DESY’s ultrafast laser systems, we are seeking a highly motivated self-driven scientist or engineer as Ultrafast Laser Operations Manager.
About your role:
- Lead and support team of scientists and engineers, responsible for laser operations and sustaining engineering
- Plan laser user experiment scheduling, laser upgrades, laser maintenance, laser documentation, service procedures, spare parts inventory and laser operations budget
- Lead and organize communication to accelerator control-room, beamline scientists, beamline users, suppliers and technical groups
- Document and track technical issues and failures of laser systems
- Lead failure analysis with the goal of improved laser availability
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
- University degree in engineering, science, management or equivalent qualification
- Excellent and proven experience in technical project management or technical operations management
- Excellent communications skills and knowledge in a relevant science or technology field
- Experience with ultrafast laser technology and large scale user facilities are a plus
For further information please contact Dr. lngmar Hartl at email@example.com.
Please submit your complete application documents (letter of motivation, CV and relevant certificates) via our application portal.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.