European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. User operation has started in September 2017.
The X-Ray Optics (XRO) group is responsible for X-ray beam transport of the facility before the experiment hall. This includes mirrors, monochromators, beam loss monitors, collimators and shutters, which are needed to ensure a safe and efficient use of X-ray beams at the experiments. The group also supports Scientific Instrument groups in conceptual design and implementation of X-ray optics around the experiments.
We are now looking for a
X-ray Optics Scientist (f/m/d)
- Take an active role in the development of new projects and upgrades to enhance the capabilities of the Facility, such as the 2 colors pump-probe scheme in SASE3, the X-ray oscillator in SASE1, and new beamlines
- Involved in upgrades of the current devices, implementing new features and working together with scientist from experiment stations to maintain the operations on a cutting-edge scientific level
- Work in an team with international groups of scientists and engineers, participation on international conferences
- Shift work and on-call activities for commissioning of X-ray optical devices will be occasionally required
- PhD in Physics or equivalent
- Practical experience working in an international facility, ideally in an X-ray scientific laboratory, synchrotron or free-electron laser instrument, with experience in commissioning and usage of complex optical devices.
- Scientific and technical skills on a broad range of X-ray related topics, ideally in the hard X-ray region (3 keV-20 keV).
- Proactive attitude and strong motivation to participate in the advancement and operation of the XFEL facility enabling forefront research at the Scientific Instruments.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multidisciplinary team
For additional information, please contact Dr. Maurizio Vannoni (firstname.lastname@example.org) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is limited to 3 years and may, subject to a later decision, become permanent.
31 January 2021
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women
To apply for this job please visit 122.rexx-server.com.