Website advancedphoton Argonne National Laboratory
The Structural Science group (SRS) in the x-ray Science Division (XSD) at the Advanced Photon Source (APS) enables world-class research using high-energy x-rays by developing cutting edge instrumentation and techniques, and pursuing research in the physical, chemical, environmental, and materials sciences. To accomplish this mission, SRS will operate five independent beamlines in the photon energy range between 26 to 120 keV after the upgrade of the APS. We are currently seeking a beamline scientist to support the high-energy x-ray beamlines operated by the SRS group. The beamlines are dedicated to in situ and operando diffraction and total scattering experiments for pair distribution function (PDF) analysis in combination with multimodal approaches, such as small angle scattering, Raman spectroscopy, fluorescence, Compton scattering, or Residual Gas Analysis. The APS-U Enhanced beamline 11-ID-D will enable novel experiments with highest flux, sub-micrometer focused beam, and extreme total scattering including the small angle scattering regime, thus leveraging the strength of the most brilliant high-energy storage ring world-wide.
The successful candidate will work with a highly motivated and diverse team to support user experiments and develop new techniques, sample environments, and/or novel data acquisition strategies for the beamlines at 11-ID.
We expect the following knowledge, skills and experiences
- Experience in conducting in situ and operando diffraction experiments
- Experience with Python and/or C/C++
- Knowledge of diffraction theory, crystallography, and approaches to advanced analysis including structural refinement and modeling
- Skill in oral and written communication of scientific results and experimental plans
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Flexibility and fast adaptation to new situations
- Role model Argonne’s Core Values.
- Understand, value, and promote diversity.
To complement our team, we are looking for one or more of the following qualifications:
- Expertise in small angle scattering
- Instrumentation design including hands on realization
- Development of scripts for advanced data acquisition and analysis strategies
- Expertise in x-ray optics
- Experience with automation and robotics
- Experience in beamline controls using EPICS
- Knowledge in engineering materials science
- Knowledge in condensed matter physics
- Experience with low temperature cryocoolers (below 80K)
- Requires a PhD in physics, chemistry, computer science, materials science and related disciplines
- At least 2 years of experience with independent scientific work after PhD
Research Development (RD)
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
To apply for this job please visit argonne.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.