European XFEL is a multi-national non-profit company. It provides X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. Located in the Hamburg area, Germany, it comprises scientific instruments for a wide range of experimental techniques. European XFEL user operation has started in September 2017 and its science program is now developing. The European XFEL Council, the company’s supreme organ, and the State of Schleswig-Holstein, have now given green light to build a visitor and conference center with school labs on the European XFEL campus in Schenefeld. Construction is expected to start in 2020.
To coordinate this new and challenging task and integrate the already existing outreach activities at European XFEL we are now looking for a Coordinator of the Visitor and Conference Center, Outreach officer.
- coordinate the conception and planning of the visitor center before and during the construction phase with internal and external stakeholders; and be responsible for the efficient and service-oriented operation
- contribute ideas and coordinate the development of the exhibition as well as visitor and school lab programs tailored for different target groups
- provide trainings for guides and coordinate visitor schedules
- cultivate and enhance existing and new collaborations with external partners
- initiate and implement funding and sponsoring activities for the Visitor and Conference center
- evaluate the measures and actions taken and be responsible for quality management
- plan and realize events within the scope of the European XFEL Outreach and PR strategy
- select and steer external service providers
- a degree in a relevant subject, e.g. Science, Communications, Event Management, or Leisure / Tourism Management
- proven track record in the development and running of (scientific) exhibitions and in the planning and organization of outreach activities and events
- strong organizational skills and service orientation
- willingness to work flexible hours, also in the evening and on weekends
- high degree of self-motivation, self-responsibility, and ability to cope with deadlines
- strong team player with leadership experience and the ability to motivate employees to take part in events
- excellent knowledge of German and fluency in English
The position requires a strong hands-on attitude, as it will start as a stand-alone position within the PR-Group. For the operation of the Visitor and Conference Center as well as other outreach activities of European XFEL, a small team reporting to the Coordinator may be established in the coming years.
For additional information, please contact Bernd Ebeling (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is initially limited to 2 years and may – subject to a later decision – become permanent.
09 June 2019
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.