Job ID 3202Date posted 05/17/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Maintaining and protecting the safety and health of National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) employees, visitors and users, and the environment is our mission. The NSLS-II Environment, Safety and Health professionals and technical staff provide expertise in support of the overall NSLS-II mission by assisting in the field implementation of the Brookhaven National Lab (BNL) Environment, Safety and Health Standards-Based Management System (SBMS) Subject Areas, ES&H safety consensus standards and NSLS-II procedures, process and program descriptions.
The NSLS-II electrical safety professional will serve as the NSLS-II electrical safety field professional and will provide expertise to NSLS-II staff and help enhance the NSLS-II electrical safety program .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the guidance of the NSLS-II Electrical Engineering Group and under the supervision of the NSLS-II Environment, Safety, Health & Quality (ESH&Q) Manager:
- Act as primary field contact for the NSLS-II Accelerator and Photon Sciences Divisions in all matters related to electrical safety;
- Conduct Equipment Inspections;
- Conduct electrical engineering calculations (load calculations, Incident energy calculations, wire sizing, etc.)
- Provide coaching and mentoring to staff in electrical safety implementation;
- Conduct work observations, obtain feedback from working groups, and support the BNL Electrical Safety Subject Matter Experts in administering changes to BNL’s Electrical Safety/LOTO Programs commensurate with feedback;
- Communicate results of Electrical Safety implementation analysis to NSLS-II senior managers through presentations, email, and newsletters;
- Participate in the development of NSLS-II electrical safety procedures;
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering and at least 3 to 7 years of experience in the design and/or installation of electrical distribution systems and scientific electrical components
- Working knowledge of external standards related to electrical safety such as NFPA 70, 70B, & 70E and OSHA
- Experience in implementing practices and procedures used to safeguard employees when performing work on electrical equipment to include electrical Lockout/Tagout (LOTO)
- Ability to develop immediate and long-term programmatic and field-based solutions to assist staff when preparing for work on electrical equipment and systems
- Ability to read schematics and electrical distribution (one-line) diagrams
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to present ideas and concepts orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner to communicate technical information and interact with individuals with diverse backgrounds and levels of understanding including senior management, engineers, scientists, and trade workers
- Must be a positive driver for change regarding NSLS-II’s commitment to safety and compliance
- Demonstrated interpersonal and time management skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering
- In-depth knowledge of external standards related to electrical safety
- Experience working in an Accelerator or Nuclear Reactor environment
- New York State Professional Engineer License or other professional certification
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Climb a ladder (A-frame) and work from heights (< 5’)
- Lifting < 15 pounds
- Prolonged walking and standing (facility inspections)
- Good eyesight (near, far and normal color/depth perception)
- Normal hearing
- Normal hand/eye coordination
- Use of hand tools and monitoring devices (e.g., electric multimeter) required
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.