PhD Student (f/m/d) in the DFG research group InterDent: microchemistry of dentine sclerosis
The new DFG joint research group ‘InterDent: The materials science of teeth in function – principles of durable, dynamic dental interzones’ is a collaborative effort between dentists from the Charité Berlin and material scientists from HZB, TU Berlin and the MPIKG, aiming at elucidating the reasons for failure of dental restorations and developing bioinspired solutions.
We address these challenges within four projects that investigate different dental interzones which we identified to be the cause of most dental failures. In this project, which is located at HZB’s SyncLab, we investigate the microchemistry of sclerotic dentin.
The project 2 “Microchemistry of sclerotic dentine” comprises the study of chemical fingerprints, gradients and correlations in structurally aged dentine exposed to dental restorations using:
- Micro X-ray fluorescence and near-edge X-ray absorption fine structure spectroscopy for elemental and chemical mapping
- Both lab instrumentation and experiments at synchrotron facilities
- Adaptation of methodology and instrumentation
- Development of model system for sclerotic dentin
Topic of the doctoral thesis: Microchemistry of sclerotic dentine
- Successfully achieved scientific university degree with very good final grades (diploma, Master of Science or equivalent) in physics or chemistry with a background in X-ray spectroscopy;
- Experience and talent in performing scientific experiments with X-rays in the laboratory as well as at large scale facilities;
- Deep interest in the development of adapted analytical technologies including instrumentation and analysis;
- Keen interest and skill in the combination and interpretation of data from different techniques;
- Ability and keen interest to work in an interdisciplinary, intercultural team (very good knowledge in German and English, at least B2 level)
We offer you
- A job at one of the 18 Helmholtz centres,
- Work in the research environment of the science metropolis Berlin, in close cooperation with all institutes taking part in the DFG joint research group (TU Berlin, MPIKG and Charité Berlin)
- A secure, crisis-stable job,
- Work/life balance,
- Flexible work hours with flexitime,
- 39-hour week,
- Mobile working on up to three days/week,
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career,
- Health management and company sports programmes,
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket),
- Continuing education opportunities,
- And a team that looks forward to meeting you!
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 04.11.2021. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com.