DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The accelerator division has as its mission the design and operation of cutting-edge accelerator facilities as well as accelerator R&D. Within the Helmholtz AACLAIM project (Accelerating Science with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning) we are looking for a highly motivated physicist to work on the application of AI to PETRA IV, the planned new synchrotron radiation facility which is currently in the technical design phase.
- Develop machine learning algorithms for optimization and control of non-linear dynamics in the PETRA IV storage ring
- As part of the accelerator physics group, take part in the design of the PETRA IV accelerator complex
- Participate in experimental studies related to the application of ML methods to accelerators
- PhD in physics, mathematics or engineering or equivalent qualification
- Preferably experience in accelerator physics and technology
- Experience in ML and AI methods and applications
- Experience in one or several of the following fields: non-linear dynamics, statistics, numercial methods
- Good programming skills
For further information please contact llya Agapov at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Persons with disabilities will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MPO005/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.