The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
The Accelerator and Source Division (ASD) operates an accelerator complex with a 6 GeV electron storage ring, which is the source of the X-rays that are exploited on the experimental stations. In 2019, the ESRF will implement a new ultra-low emittance ring to become the world’s first Extremely Brilliant Source (ESRF-EBS project) of hard X-rays. As part of the ASD, the Radio Frequency (RF) group operates 352 MHz high-power amplifiers that feed the accelerating cavities of the Booster and Storage ring of the ESRF.
As an Engineer in the RF group your main missions will be:
- Follow up the high-power radio-frequency transmitters
- 1.3 MW CW klystron transmitters at 352.2 MHz
- 150 kW solid state amplifiers at 352.2 MHz
- Participate in the upgrade and re-commissioning of the RF systems in the frame of ESRF-EBS
- Pursue the R&D effort under way at the ESRF in the field of efficient high-power solid-state amplifiers and their power combiners
- Carry out a technological watch on worldwide R&D on high-efficiency RF power sources
- Participate in the safe and reliable operation of the existing RF system
Moreover, as a member of the Accelerator and Source Division, you will be required to contribute with up to 15 % of your time to the operation of the accelerator complex on shift work for service to users and participate in the RF standby duty.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent 300 ECTS diploma) in Electrical and RF Engineering
- 7 to 15 years of experience in high-power RF amplifiers, klystrons and solid-state amplifiers
- Expertise in RF transmission, detection and measurement techniques,
- Experience or knowledge in RF engineering codes, high-voltage and high-current techniques including safety aspects as well as larger systems’ control would be an asset.
- Ability to draw up technical specifications, scientific reports and make oral presentations in English (working language at the ESRF).
- Team work capability is essential
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 40 – 52 k€ and additional allowances may apply (shift allowance, expatriation allowance, etc.).
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 25/04/2018.