Limited: 3 years
Starting date: earliest possible
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Center for Data and Computing in Natural Science (CDCS) is a new scientific institution formed as a partnership between DESY, the University of Hamburg, and the Technical University of Hamburg. CDCS is dedicated to the development and application of modern information technologies (data science, artificial intelligence, scientific computing) to scientific problems. Cross-disciplinary labs (CDL) integrate scientific groups in the natural sciences with core IT and mathematics specialties in a flexible structure. This position in CDL-2 focusses on applications in photon science.
About your role:
- Development of novel methods for time resolved structure determination from SFX data; or development of improved data processing for 3D X-ray fluorescence / absorption tomograpy reconstruction (depending on interest and skills)
- Participation in experiments at synchrotron and X-ray free electron laser sources
- Writing of academic publications and presentation of results at conferences
- Networking with other CDLs and the ICU in CDCS, and with DESY computer science
- Active participation in application for third party funding and project execution
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
- PhD in computer science, physics, applied mathematics, or related areas
- Appropriate programming abilities in C++ and/or Python
- Experience with high performance and parallel computing
- Experience in collaborative software development
- Ability to translate scientific problems into practical computing solutions
- A good spoken and written command of English
For further information please contact Dr. Anton Barty, +49-40-8998-5783 (email@example.com).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.